Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rainy Night

It has been raining heavily tonight. My parents and brother had come back from Kedah to attend my cousin's funeral. He died of leukemia. It is in the family so is heart attack.
I spend a day in Kuala Lumpur yesterday . I went to KLCC as usual to browse some books. I saw a new book from Ondori on floral embroidery and another book on roses. It cost about RM 90. There is another book from Synergy Sdn Bhd , a local one which cost RM 29.90. There is a huge difference but the one from Japan has many lovely pictures on floral.
I went to Sogo and I saw some phyllo pastry. I could not find the pastry in Cold Storage. It cost RM 12.00 . In KLCC I bought Yao Char Koay set , complete with a big bowl of rice porridge. The porridge is not thick like my mother used to make . I used to see the Chinese eating the Yao Char koay and the porridge in Chinese dramas. I told my mother about it but there was no response. We used to buy Char koay in the evenings . The set is very filling .
My mother used to make porridge or 'moi' as she used to call it . She usually makes beef porridge whenever one of us is sick . It has been a long time since she made it. Now when someone is sick ,with fever she makes chicken soup. My sister in Penang , the good doctor always makes chicken soup whenever she is here for a visit. Her children loves to eat the soup with rice and so do I. It is very simple . Here goes.

Chicken soup recipe

Ingredients

One onion thinly sliced

2-3 cloves of garlic thinly sliced

A bit of ginger julienned

Some cinnamon stick , star anise and cardamon

Chicken pieces

One 0r two potato diced

Salt and pepper


Heat oil. Add onion , garlic and ginger.

Cook until the three items are transparent

Add water .

Add the chicken pieces , potato and herbs.

Boil the soup until the potato is soft

Add salt to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment