Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Whirlwind Engagement Ceremony


It began on Wednesday night when  my mother went for dinner with GG and his soon to be fiancee.  I had flu the day before . On Thursday when I was up my mother was on the ear phone talking to my sisters . Then the engagement day was set on Saturday night. With no thoughts left the three of us rushed to Wah Chan at Giant Shah Alam to search for an engagement ring. What followed were tense , gut wrenching and often hilarious moments. There are many dramas involved too.
After the date was set Dr. Dr  , my sister Nas was asked to come back home for the engagement ceremony. Now the 'hantaran' had to be prepared. It was such a short notice so my mother searched for the trays . My sisters had kept it in the shelves. It still looked good. Than on Friday night we were looking at the trays and the cover . We also asked for mother where shall we put the ring. So my mother brought some boxes to see . We  almost fainted to see her choice. Blue was out. Nas said that we should put some orchids but then we were laughing because it is the 90's choice. My idea of putting jasmine flowers was also ignored. Then we we looked at some of the  'hantaran' ideas on  the internet .   We decided to go hunting at the  market in the morning but my mother snatched GG the next morning.
So the 'hantaran' or gifts were later shown . It was beautiful. White so, we send five hantaran. This is the last minute preparation so it was okay . Yatie and Sadd were not around but were kept up to date  .  There were also a lot of issue of who  will be giving the speech at the ceremony.
Nas and I went to  an Ariani shop nearby.  . I  bought a salmon coloured and Nas bought a dark green coloured tudong. Since this is an official engagement I also want to look nice.
After that we wen to Giant Kota Damansara to buy some more petals and Baby's breath . There is a nice shop although things would look nicer if given ample time but it  went well. So at 9.00 pm all of us were there. Ed and family, Taqi and family , Nas and children, myself , Mal with a  childhood friend  and of course my parents. 
The engagement ceremony was brief with my father speaking for the night. And then we saw the GG's future wife for the first time for most of us at least . After the ceremony which is held in Kampung Baru all of us went to have tea at Al Rawsha . There were many people  at the restaurant . We had a nice time at the family room having lamb Maghdud  and kebab.
Jingga the kitten is nowhere to be seen today and last night .  He is afraid to come in as the children liked to chase him. So after this we will have a wedding after Aidilfitri. Insha' allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment