Sunday, May 17, 2009

Roast beef

On Friday evening I made roast beef and potato gratin. This is the first time I have made any roast beef.I bought most of the items at Cold storage One Utama . For 600 grams of beef it cost me RM 23.90. I bought a Bula heavy cream and an old style whole grain mustard called Mourtade at' Ancienne from Beaufor . The other items were bought at Jusco. My mother helped with the peeling of the potatoes which my father bought the day before. One thing which is difficult to know is when the beef is cooked. That is why a meat thermometer is needed . However we cooked the the beef and the potato using my mother's Tupper chef. The last 10 minutes of the beef was cooked in my mother's wok. Since my father wanted to try the roast. For a first timer I think it goes well.
My brother GG has come from a day in the hospital. It is still not known if he is suffering from dengue. He had a blistering headache and the doctors he went to gave him pain killers.My sisters and brothers were here . There is a dinner last night with a lot of prawn , petai, fish and my mother's fish curry.
Back to the dish I made I felt the potato gratin is very nice but there were no seconds for the roast beef. I also bought some broccoli to be steamed. I still have the mustard. I found a recipe for the potato gratin at :
The roast beef video recipe could be found at :http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-roast-beef. This is an easy way to prepare roast beef but a meat thermometer truly helps. I saw one at Sogo for about RM 50.00. So far this is the only place which I know that sells a meat thermometer.
I saw a lovely oven in Sogo last two days. It is much bigger than the one at home and maybe a leg of lamb could be shoved in it. It cost about RM 340 which is on sale. My mother said that I would be better off cooking than sewing. Shall I listen to her ? Mother knows best . he he

No comments:

Post a Comment