Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pumpkin soup




The second soup I made  was pumpkin soup. Not that I have not tried soup. All my life I  tasted clear chicken soup or oxtail soup. With pumpkin it was either savoury or sweet. Pumpkin is tasty in a vegetable dish usually with sayur asin and  pumpkin shoots in coconut milk.  I have only tried the pumpkin shoots , my mother said she had pumpkin most of her young life. My father on the other hand loves , porridge . Pumpkin porridge or Serawa Labu is also nice but my mother does not want to make all this fattening treats. 
So I went to make a pumpkin soup , I roasted  about a quarter of a pumpkin which yield about 1 cup the first time , the second time  I had two cups of mashed pumpkin  and I made the pumpkin soup  when Nas came. 
Nas and family had gone to Mecca to perform Umrah . They will be in Riyadh and Dubai too. Mal's birthday was yesterday and my father is 75 years old on the 15th of December.  I saw a recipe from Allrecipe and  with this recipe , I do not have to to use butter . I just have to add  the chopped onion , garlic, peppercorn , chopped fresh thyme into the mashed pumpkin and chicken broth. The first time I add cream and boil which is a no no. The second time , I add some peppercorns which made it spicy .  Next time , I will try a mushroom soup and broccoli soup. With broccoli soup I think I will try the simple one.  Here is the recipe I used if you are interested :http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-soup/

No comments:

Post a Comment